So as you can tell by the name, this isn’t my recipe, but one that my cousin Reid shared with me on a recent dinner catch up. First let me describe Reid, he’s a 6’4 mountain of a man, the kind of guy that has seconds of seconds and then still has room for dessert.
Let’s just say, he has a BIG appetite, so when he shared his staple pasta salad with me, I knew it must be good. Reid will make a batch of this to last him for a couple of days; dinner, and the next couple of days lunches sort of thing.
Ingredients (6 servings; or 4 Reid sized serves):
- 500g packet of spiral or shell shaped dried pasta
- 4 hard boiled eggs, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 cup of canned corn kernels, drained
- 1 punnet of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 425g can Chunky Style Tuna in oil, well drained
- handful of parsley, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup of mayonnaise – Best Foods is good, just not light mayo
- 1/2 cup green pitted olives, sliced – optional
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced – optional
Cook the pasta according to packet directions. *You could boil the eggs in the pasta water if you need to, just add the room temperature eggs to the water when there is 9 minutes of cooking time left.
While the pasta is cooking prepare the vegetables and pop them into a large salad bowl. Half the tomatoes, drain the corn, slice the celery and olives (if using) chop the onion (if using) and parsley.
Drain the tuna and add it to the salad bowl with 2/3 of a cup of mayonnaise.
Once the pasta is cooked, drain well and add to the salad bowl. Use two dessert spoons to toss everything together till coated and well mixed. Chill until required.