Eggs are such a versatile food – from French toast for breakfast, to quiche for lunch, and pasta carbonara for dinner. Eggs play an important part in a healthy meal plan. They are packed with protein and full of vitamins, and considered a daily food for any healthy diet. Eggs are great for babies to adults. They are perfect by themselves, or in a salad or a meal. Here are seven reasons why you should eat them:
- Affordable, versatile, highly nutritious and enjoyed by all ages, eggs are one of the true super foods.
- Plunket recommends including mashed egg in a babies diet from the age of 7-8 months.
- Versatile food that can be used in many different meals to satisfy children as they grow.
- Protein in egg is called ‘complete protein’ because it contains all the essential amino acids needed for growth, development and health.
- Eggs are a gold mine of vitamins; including most of the B Vitamins like Folate and Vitamin B12, Vitamin A, D and E.
- Eggs contain a range of minerals including; Selenium, Iodine, Iron, Zinc and Phosphorous, with each playing an important role in the health and wellbeing of children.
- The New Zealand Nutrition Foundation supports including up to six eggs a week per person in a healthy family diet.